KONA TOWN

KONA TOWN
photo by EfrankE

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

Back in the Midwest of my childhood, my parents and their closest group of friends took turns hosting New Year's Eve parties. We kids always ended up staying home with a sitter, so until I got older and my parents came up in the hosting rotation, I had no idea what these gatherings were all about.

I had to piece together an understanding of what being a grownup on New Year's Eve was all about from a few photographs. Here's one from 1959.

I know what you're thinking. This looks more like a PTA meeting than a party. Where are the funny hats, the noisemakers, the confetti? Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of dancing? The Fred Astaire-type movies on the old black and white Philco always had dancing on New Year's Eve.

Well, apparently later, there was some sort of revelry involving wearing a "costume" and, it looks like, an extemporaneous skit, which must have comprised "the program." I assume this photo was taken after order was restored.

Pretty simple stuff but it went with the times.

I hope each of you finds yourself with a gathering of your closest friends this New Year's Eve, even if it's for the simple enjoyment of being together. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment