KONA TOWN

KONA TOWN
photo by EfrankE

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Beautiful Game with the Annoying Sound

If you've watched any of the FIFA World Cup games, you've had to listen to the constant background noise from the vuvuzela crowd competing with the commentators' description of the action.

The noise is relentless and is reported to be at 127 decibels (for comparison, a chainsaw in operation is about 100 decibels; a jet taking off is 130 if you were to be standing next to the engines).

For the uninitiated, here's a guide to proper use of the vuvuzela.

click on image to enlarge

Personally, I hate the blankety-blank things.

via

3 comments:

  1. Luckily I don't watch soccer so they don't bother me;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I won't turn on the tv....I hate annoying things...I hate noise... I'd have to guess who was doing what to whom ...because I'd get fed up with it all and hit the mute button.....

    Think I'll bake instead... can't play outside..it's raining cats and dogs... wind is blowing at about 40 kph... and it is so damn dark I have all the lights on ..... sigh... sure wish summer would show up.... I still have plants to put in pots...and it's already half way through what should be summer...... sigh .. again........

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Perp and Vee, what I'm picking up here is immunity to soccer fevah. It's important that I point out, they're still playing first round games and those generally tend to be lackluster anyway. Friday, the second round begins and the level of competition intensifies. Perhaps this new information is creating some previously unfelt stirrings?

    The bigger problem is that the games have started at 2:00, 4:00 and 8:00 a.m. Hawaii Standard Time. I try to watch some of the 8:00 a.m. games.

    Sorry there's no summer (or as we call it here our only) season yet. On the brighter side, there're probably fewer mosquitos - and art and baking are both indoor-oriented activities anyway. That's about the best encouragement I seem to be able to come up with.

    Maybe summer is just arriving late in order to create a bigger entrance.

    ReplyDelete